Government has called for a meeting with the Football Association of Zambia -FAZ- to discuss the U-20 women’s national football team’s failed trip to the All Africa games.
Ministry of Sports, Youth and Child Development Director Bessy Chelemu said there had been a lot of misguided information on the issue, which needed to be corrected.
She said it was unfortunate that the ministry had been dragged in the mud when government did its part in ensuring that the participation fee for the girls was paid.
Chelemu stated that all sports associations taking part in the games managed to submit the names of their athletes to the Olympic committee for accreditation by June 30th, which was the deadline.
She said FAZ only submitted the names on August 12.
Chelemu has called for an end to finger pointing that was currently going on, saying Friday’s meeting will pave the way forward so that the country does not find itself in such a predicament in future.
The Zambia U-20 girls team failed to travel to Morocco for the ongoing All Africa games and the meeting is scheduled for Friday this week.